Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Linguistics T-Shirts

A few years back while working on my MA in Linguistics, I saw that there was a lack of availability of fun, linguistics related t-shirts on the market, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I came up with the following linguistically-inspired mottos for t-shirts (only one of which I had made).

SEMANTICIANS MEAN WELL

SYNTACTICIANS KNOW HOW TO TURN A PHRASE

PHONOLOGISTS RULE THE SOUND WAVES

PHONETICIANS ARE OF SOUND MIND

PRAGMATICIANS KEEP IT IN CONTEXT

MORPHOLOGISTS CAN AFFIX ANYTHING

GOT GRAMMAR

Because I focused on topics in semantics while working on my degree, I had about 20 or so of the "Semanticians Mean Well" shirts made. I gave them away to friends and family to spread my love of linguistics. I also gave one to Professor Margaret Winters at Wayne State University as she was my thesis advisor and a huge inspiration.

I would love to hear more linguistically-inspired mottos if anyone out there has ideas. Let's give the t-shirt printers some inspiration.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just finished making a shirt that says "when i play semantics i play to win"

Laura Payne said...

That is a great one. I absolutely love it. How can I win one?

G. Etranger said...

I would buy one. Market them.

Laura Payne said...

At the request of readers (here and on other posts) I have set up a Cafe Press shop with some linguistics merchandise. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I am still working on the shop layout and designs.

http://www.cafepress.com/walkinthewords

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...