Monday, May 12, 2008

Bill Bryson and A Walk in the Words/Woods

Having just returned from the woods of northern Michigan, I thought I would share with you the inspiration for the title of my blog. Yes, I did intentionally name this blog "A Walk in the Words" after Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods," and there are three important reasons I chose this name:
1. I grew up spending many vacations in northern Michigan and in the Upper Peninsula, thus developing a love of nature and hiking in the woods early in life.
2. I grew up with a strong love of reading, language and words.
3. Bill Bryson's "The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way," and "Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States," are a couple of my favorite books about language and ones that I often recommend to people to show that learning about language can be fun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...