Friday, October 24, 2008

Pushing Daisies: Digby and Pigby

Pushing Daisies is one of the most creative new television shows of recent years. When it debuted last year I immediately fell in love with the main character Ned's dog named Digby. I love Golden Retrievers and I had never heard the name Digby but I thought it was a great name.

Now in its second season, a new animal character has joined the show. A pig that the character Olive calls Pigby. I love it. I wonder if the creators of the show had the second season's plot line planned ahead of time when first naming all of the characters or if inspiration struck later (in the form of Digby) that led to the new plot line involving the nunnery, mushrooms and a pig.

At any rate, Pigby brought me back to wondering about the name Digby so I did a little research. The most prominent Digby was Sir Kenelm Digby, 1603–1665, an English naval commander, diplomat, and author. Used as a first name, the name Digby is rare but according to a baby naming website is from Old Norse and means "town by the ditch." Of course the name Pigby does not make the list of names for babies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...