Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Acronyms and Bacronyms

Acronyms are everywhere these days. They are so common that most people don't even give them a second thought...but what about bacronyms. Bacronyms are not so common; in fact, many people have never even heard of bacronyms.

A bacronym is, in essence, the opposite of an acronym. Where an acronym is formed by taking a phrase and using the first letter of each word of the phrase to form a word, a bacroynm is formed by taking a word and creating a phrase (usually humorous) using the letters of the word as initials.

Widgets
Of
Readers'
Delight


Words
Are
Limitless
Knowledge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I you really love WORDS AND WORDPLAY visit my site bhargavabd.hpage.com and favour me with your comments, suggestions and how we can bring my work the attention it deserves. I wi; be looking forward to your email.
With best wishes,
B.D.Bhargava
bdtara@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...