Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cognitive Linguistics Fun

Read the text inside the triangle out loud.


More than likely you said, 'A bird in the bush,'! and. ........
if this IS what YOU said, then you failed to see
that the word THE is repeated twice!
Sorry, look again.

###


Count every ' F ' in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY
COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

How many?
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


Wrong, there are 6 -- no joke.
Read it again.
Really, go back and try to find the 6 F's before you scroll down.
The reasoning behind is further down.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

The brain cannot process 'OF'.

Incredible or what? Go back and look again!!
Anyone who counts all 6 'F's' on the first go is a genius.
Three is normal, four is quite rare.



###




3 comments:

Carlos said...

I'd done the "F" drill before, yet still got only 5 of the buggers!

I loved the "the" exercise. I totally missed it!

Erin Davis said...

These are such fun. I missed the "of" Fs the first time around. Love the Teach/Learn image. I think I want to put that up in my office.

By the way, my students have been adopting endangered words all week and coming up with their own grammar pie charts/graphs. I'll let you know what they come up with. :0)

Laura Payne said...

Erin,
I look forward to seeing your students' charts and graphs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...