Wednesday, September 2, 2009

From the Rooter to the Tooter

I read a wonderful memoir this summer called "Same Kind of Different as Me". The book is about a millionaire art dealer named Ron Hall and his relationship with a homeless man and former sharecropper named Denver Moore. I won't get into any more details about the book but I wanted to mention an idiom that Denver Moore used in the book when talking about eating the meat from pigs.


"From the rooter to the tooter."

What a beautifully poetic way to describe eating the parts of pigs that most people would rather not even think about.

Apparently this is a well known idiom (probably more so in the southern United States) but it was new to me and I really got a kick out of it. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and its accurate portrayal of dialects too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...