Wednesday, September 16, 2009

PNUT...What??? APOSTROPHE...where???


Snapped this photo at one of our local grocery stores. I immediately wondered what the heck a 'pnut' is and why someone would make butter out of it. If the sign had read "p'nut" I would have known right away that it was a contraction for 'peanut' and I do love peanut butter.



By the way (with credit to The Owl at Purdue), "A contraction is a word (or set of numbers) in which one or more letters (or numbers) have been omitted. The apostrophe shows this omission. Contractions are common in speaking and in informal writing. To use an apostrophe to create a contraction, place an apostrophe where the omitted letter(s) would go."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Testicle Butter" ;)

Laura Payne said...

I was actually thinking the same thing, but one of my boys was standing over my shoulder waiting for the computer as I wrote this. Thanks for mentioning it for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...