Friday, June 17, 2011

Rusticated From Bollywood

I sure hope the writer, director, producer and actors from 3 idiots are never suspended from the Indian film industry.


I just watched one of the best movies I have seen in...I don't even know how long. I normally get antsy watching movies that are longer than an hour an a half or so; not the case with this movie that was almost three hours short. My teenage son, while complaining about the subtitles and playing a game on his laptop, started to half-watch the movie with me and within the first five minutes he set everything aside to give it his full attention. We laughed and cried together and enjoyed every minute of this delightfully unconventional, joyfully sentimental and extremely intelligent comedy.

Here is the summary from Netflix:
While attending one of India's premier colleges, miserable engineering students and best friends Rancho (Aamir Khan), Farhan (Madhavan) and Raju (Sharman Joshi) struggle to beat their school's draconian system, which, in their eyes, unfairly values grades over creativity. Loosely based on Chetan Bhagat's best-selling novel Five Point Someone, this entertaining Bollywood comedy also stars Kareena Kapoor and Boman Irani.

rus·ti·cate

v. rus·ti·cat·ed, rus·ti·cat·ing, rus·ti·cates
v.intr.
To go to or live in the country.
v.tr.
1. To send to the country.
2. Chiefly British To suspend (a student) from a university.
3. To cut or shape (masonry blocks) so as to create a bold textured look, often by beveling the edges to form deep-set joints while leaving the central face rough-hewn or carved with various pointed or channeled patterns.

Bollywood
n
(Performing Arts) Informal
a. the Indian film industry
b. (as modifier) a Bollywood star
[from Bo(mbay) + (Ho)llywood]

1 comment:

Karen said...

I will add it to my queue! I loved another Aamir Khan movie, a much older one, called Lagaan. But it wasn't a comedy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...