Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Verbose Verbiage

While visiting the website http://www.wordie.org I came across the word verbivorous which was defined as follows: 1. Literally, eating words for sustenance. 2. To be such a voracious reader that one could seem to live solely on words. 3. The name of a website (http://www.verbivorous.com) where you can share books with other readers. This word was obviously created by a verbose (in a good way) person whose verbiage is most impressive, because the word is not listed in dictionaries (yet). I love the word and I like to consider myself a verbivore. At any rate, the word verbivorous got me thinking of all the potential words that could be created with verb as their root. Here are some I came up with:

Verbemia - The state of having words in ones blood
Verbitis - The inflammation of words one uses
Verboid - Void of words
Verbiatrics - Medical treatment for improving the words one uses
Verbuflect - Bowing down to someones words
Verbature - The act of tying things together with ones words

I could go on and on, however, I would rather hear what my readers can conceive. Don't be verboid, send me some of your creative verbiage.


2 comments:

Tanya said...

Oh Lor, I'm not very good at this but I have to share what I thought of:
Verbalicious : Eating ones words

Dumb, eh?

Yours was good!

Anonymous said...

Okay, how about these?

Verbagious – words that are contagious and you just can’t stop using them (like “oh my god!”)
Verbixer – mixing up your words

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...