Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Text Message Communication

Reader Emily Ryall sent the following:

"I was thinking about the conversational analysis of text messages and how they might be something interesting to think about. My experience of text messages is that they are an incomplete conversation, i.e. we feel an obligation to keep the conventions of 'normal' conversation, but are unable to do so. So I'll often just ignore people's questions on text message if I think they're just some kind of phatic communication. Yet, I'd never do this in 'real' life. I don't know whether this is an issue of time or money (if text messages cost 10p) or whether there's a tacit acknowledgement that the sender doesn't really expect a response. Have you thought about this at all? Do you have any comment on it?"

I am putting this out there to welcome other readers' comments while I am working on my response - which will follow soon.

By the way, thank you Emily for sending your question. I encourage all readers to send any thoughts, questions, comments or feedback you may have.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...