Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tim Hortons Gets Brownie Points for Word Play

Tim Hortons is advertising a limited-time Caramel Chocolate Brownie Iced Capp Supreme. The tagline for the campaign is "Brownie Points for Caramel".

The above image is from the Tim Hortons website which includes this description of the beverage: "It's our famous Iced Capp made with creamy caramel flavor, rich chocolate whipped topping and a decadent brownie crumble."

I noticed one of the campaign billboards a week or so ago and, I must say, the tagline is one of the best I have seen in quite a while.  I absolutely love the fact that Brownie points is open to both the figurative and literal interpretation.

Brownie points: a notional mark of achievement, or kudos for performing some creditable act.

toast points: triangular pieces of toast, often without the crust, used as the base of hors d'oeuvres and canapés.

Okay, so the brownies may not actually be points, but I can certainly imagine that some of the crumbles are in the shape of triangles.

2 comments:

Andy Hollandbeck said...

Hmm... I had been told sometime back in HS that "brownie points" is an offshoot of "brown-nosing," which has to do with butt-kissing -- so the brown is not something you'd want with a dessert.

My dictionary says that Brownie points comes from the not-yet-Girl-Scouts Brownies. I like my pop etymology better...

Laura Payne said...

4ndyman - I agree.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...