Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Semiotics and Stale Bread

This falls under the following categories:

Where have I been all of my life?

And

You learn something new every day.

My son came home from school last week and asked me if I knew what the plastic tabs on loaves of bread meant. My response was, "yes, they are printed with the sell by dates." Little did I know they are color-coded by delivery date as well.


Snopes.com verified this newly-realized semiotic information for the plastic tabs and the twist ties.

According to Snopes, bread is delivered fresh five days a week to grocery stores: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day has its own colored twist tie or plastic tab. This color-coding is alphabetical based on the first letter of the color which is coordinated with the order of the days of the week.

Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow

The main purpose of the color-coding is to help grocery-stocking personnel switchover the bread inventory in a more expedient manner.

Now that I have this new information, I will never purchase a loaf of bread with a blue tab or tie on a Saturday.

###

From a previous post: semiotics is the scientific study of signs and their linguistic meaning. It is about the relationship between a sign and what it represents. It is about how people determine the meaning of signs. In semiotics a sign is considered anything (a symbol, an icon, a sound, a picture and so on) that stands for another thing.

More on semiotics here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...